Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the Building Code & Permitting process can be found below.  If you have a question that you do not see answered in this section of the website, please feel free to contact the Building Official at 860-887-5581 x130.

I need to have an upgrade or some other change done to my electric service.  What do I need to do?

In order to change your electrical service you will need to do the following:

  1. Obtain a permit from Eversource (electricity supplier) for your licensed electrician to cut and reconnect your electric service, or make arrangements with Eversource for them to perform the cut and reconnect.
  2. Come into the Land Use Office and pick up an Electrical Permit package.
  3. Complete the application forms and return them to the Land Use Office.  Be sure to have your CRS # from Eversource – it is required on the permit application form.
  4. After you receive your permit, have your electrician perform the work.  When the work is completed, schedule an inspection through the Land Use Office at 860-887-5581 x103.

What permits do I need to install a pool or spa on private property?

An information package regarding Private Swimming Pool and Spa/Hot Tubs is available on-line. 
Click here for Private Swimming Pool and Spa/Hot Tub package.

Is a permit required for a pool with an inflatable top ring that rises as water is added?

Yes, any pool that is capable of containing water 24” or more in depth would require a permit.

Is a permit required for a shed?

Yes, a building permit is required for all sheds, regardless of size.

How long is my permit good for?

In accordance with section R105.5, every permit issued shall become invalid unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time the work is commenced.  The Building Official is authorized to grant, in writing, one or more extensions of time, for periods of not more than 180 days each.  The extensions shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause shall be demonstrated.  Exception: the Building Official shall be authorized to specify an expiration date of not less than 30 days, nor more than 180 days for commencement of work under permits issued to abate unsafe conditions pursuant to Section R115 of this code.  Work performed under such permits shall be completed as expeditiously as possible.

Can I perform all the work on my own house?

Yes, according to Connecticut General Statute section 20-340(11) persons engaged in the installation, maintenance, repair and service of glass or electrical, plumbing, fire protection sprinkler systems, solar, heating, piping, cooling and sheet metal equipment in and about single-family residences owned and occupied or to be occupied by such persons; provided any such installation, maintenance and repair shall be subject to inspection and approval by the Building Official of the municipality in which such residence is located and shall conform to the requirements of the State Building Code.