Where Can I Get Information About My Septic System? 

Local Health Departments have property files that may contain important septic system information such as copies of permits, design plans, as-built drawings, and soil test data.  This information is available to be viewed by the public, or you may ask the town sanitarian to review the files with you (as their time allows). Refer to the CT DPH web site at: http://www.ct.gov/dph to obtain contact information from your Local Health Department.  If your home is served by a septic system, then you must contact your Local Health Department when you are planning a building addition, home winterization, renovation of an unfinished space, or adding a garage, deck, sunroom, pool, shed, etc.   These types of projects require approval from both the Building Department and Local Health Department prior to construction. It is recommended that you first discuss your plans with the Local Health Department so that they can inform you on the necessary permit requirements and advise you on possible site limitations on your property.  There are cases when building projects cannot be approved due to septic system regulations.
Septic Sytem 101 - provided by the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health.

Do I need a license to operate a food service business?

No license is required at this time, however, you must register and regular inspections are required.

Do I need to get certified to operate a food service establishment?

Yes.  According to the Public Health Code at least one person at each establishment must have appropriate training.  In Connecticut, that would be the Qualified Food Operator’s or Food Handler’s course offered by most Community Colleges.

How often should I get my septic tank pumped?

Every two to five years depending on use and occupancy.  The tank serves to separate solids from liquids; failure to pump can result in system blockage which may require expensive repairs.

How do I avoid getting Lyme disease or Babesiosis?

Both are tick borne diseases that are endemic in Southern New England and the Mid-Atlantic States.  Generally the tick must remain attached for a significant length of time to cause disease.  The best prevention while out of doors in a wooded area is to use repellant, wear long sleeve shirts and pants and to examine yourself after finishing your activities and to promptly remove any ticks.

Where can I get more information on Lyme disease and Babesiosis?

You can receive information at http://www.cdc.gov/lyme and http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/babesiosis

Where can I get a flu vaccine?

Please visit http://www.flu.gov and use the flu vaccine finder to find a flu clinic near you.