I have a Town tree in front of my house that is dropping branches and I would like to have the tree removed.  Can the town take care of this?

First the Town will need to confirm that the tree is actually in the town right-of-way (r.o.w.).  If the tree is in the town r.o.w. and the tree is dead or diseased, the town will arrange to have the tree removed as soon as possible. If the tree is determined to be on private property, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to have the tree removed.  Town employees are not authorized to work on private property.

Who should be contacted if there is a problem with damaged or broken equipment at one of the playgrounds or school?

Report all damaged playground equipment to the Parks & Recreation Office at 860-887-5581 x4 and damaged school equipment to 860-889-6098 x0.

Will the Town pick up large household items for disposal?
The Town does not pick up household items for disposal.  Please contact your refuse hauler or the Transfer Station, Friday & Saturday at 860-886-1836.

When will my street be paved?
There is no set schedule for road repaving; however, each spring town roads are evaluated for repaving based on the road conditions.

Who is responsible for cutting and maintaining grass/ plantings at intersections to allow for viewing on-coming traffic?
Contact the Public Works Department at 860-886-7220 or 860-887-5581 x101 and staff will assess the problem.  If plantings were installed by a property owner, they will be contacted regarding necessary removal/trimming.  If the growth is on a State Highway, please call 860-823-3222.

My street sign is missing.  How can I get it replaced?
Please report the missing sign to Public Works 860-886-7220 or 860-887-5581 x101.  Arrangements will be made to replace the sign as soon as possible.

I plan to do some digging in my yard.  Who should I contact prior to digging?
Call Before You Dig at 1-800-922-4455 prior to starting any work.  If a contractor has been hired to do work, it is the contractor’s responsibility to notify Call Before You Dig so utilities can be identified and marked out to avoid any injuries or interruption in utility service.

My mailbox was damaged by a snowplow.  How do I get it fixed?
The town repairs or replaces only mailboxes and/or posts that are actually struck by a plow blade. Usually a paint mark or tire tracks supply evidence of a mailbox strike. The town does not repair or replace mailboxes and/or posts that fall from the force of plowed snow. Mailboxes and supporting posts must be installed to withstand the rigors of snow removal, including the force of snow pushed from the street onto the roadside

How wide is the town right-of-way along my street?
The width of the town right-of-way is different for each street and can even vary along sections of the same street.  You can usually find out further information about the right-of-way in the Planning & Zoning Office or on the original subdivision map which is filed in the Town Clerk’s Office. 

How can I properly dispose of paints and other household chemical products that I no longer need?
The only chemical product that may be disposed of at the transfer station is latex paint.  Other chemicals that require disposal may be brought to the annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days, held at various locations and dates.