The Treasurer is elected for a two-year term and exercises the powers and duties conferred by state statutes and the Town Ordinances. The Treasurer works very closely with the First Selectman and auditors in all matters involving the Town’s finances.
The Treasurer is responsible for the accurate and timely recording and reporting of all financial transactions of the Town. Other responsibilities of the Treasurer include:
- Attends Board of Finance monthly meetings.
- Balances with Selectmen’s budget and Board of Education budget on a monthly basis.
- Coordinates the Annual Audit and works directly with the Auditors.
- Deposits most town funds.
- Maintains and reconcile bank accounts.
- Maintains cash flow.
- Maintains custody of all payment and performance bonds for projects within the Town.
- Maintains Town Financial Records.
- Provides reports of budget vs. actual and income vs. expenses.
- Requests payments from approved Redevelopment Agency grants. Pays approved expenditures from PRA grants.