Transfer Station Stickers
All vehicles entering the facility must display a Transfer Station sticker, there are no exceptions. The stickers are available from employees at the Transfer Station. Be prepared to show the vehicle registration with a Preston address in order to receive the sticker.
May 29, 2020 - Transfer Station Update...
Thursday June 4th will be the last Thursday the transfer station will be open. Normal hours and operations are resuming on Fridays and Saturdays starting June 5th and 6th. If you have any questions, please call the Town Garage at 860-886-7220.
Transfer Station: The transfer station will begin taking bulky waste by Appointment only on Thursdays from 8am to 1pm starting May 14th and will be limited to a small pickup truck load – No dump trailers will be allowed at the current time. Make your appointment by calling the Town Garage at 860-886-7220. Please leave a message and they will call you back if no one is available to take your call. Once your appointment is confirmed, please go to the transfer station at your available time and take all precautionary measures previously shared for COVID -19 including the wearing of a face mask. All other communications regarding the transfer station remain in effect. We will continue to keep you updated on any other adjustments we need to make.
The Town accepts for disposal the following:
- Bulky waste (all bulky waste is weighed and a fee charged for disposal)
- Household trash (bagged)
- Bottles, cans, aluminum foil, milk and water plastic jugs (clean)
- Colored plastic jugs, etc. (HDPE Number 1 and Number 2) (clean)
- Corrugated cardboard (flattened, cleaned)
- Mixed clean paper (including newspaper)
Items That Require Seeing the Attendant for Disposal
- Anti-freeze, Oil Filters, Engine Drain Oil
- Batteries (Car & Household; 9V, AAA, etc)
- Computers & Electronics (TVs, etc)
- Light bulbs, fluorescent bulbs (special container)
- Smoke Detectors
- Scrap metal
- Demolition material
- Propane tanks
- Refrigerators and Air Conditioners
Leaves or Brush
The Transfer Station does not accept leaves or brush per Town Ordinance. Brush may be brought to the Public Works Department located at:
423 Route 2
Preston, CT 06365
Monday - Friday
7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
NOTE: Transfer Station will be open on Good Friday and the day after Thanksgiving